I’ve visited Hong Kong several times in the past few years and it’s always struck me how different parts of the Special Administrative Region vary in living styles. Sprawling across Lantau and Tai O Islands is a well-known village called Tai O which is definitely a must-go for photographers. Home to a community of fisher people, who’ve built their houses on stilts above the tidal flats, Tai O has become a bit of a tourist must-see. Through generations, this tightly knit community, which literally lives on the water, have built unusual structures which are all interconnected.
Wandering around Tai O is a dream. No traffic, a lazy way of life, well at least for me anyway, and peace to stop and look at what’s for sale, mainly fish. I think I prefer this life-style. What about you?
Walking round Tai O I found this gentleman sleeping on a bench in a park. It seems to be catching…..
…..because the cats were taking it easy as well.
Contrast that with down town Kowloon. Here the apartment blocks rise ever higher and higher but are still very tightly packed.
Over on Hong Kong island there are more and more high-rise buildings, still tightly packed. Space is at a premium in the SAR and so the only way to build is up. The sound of traffic is almost continuous and every time I have visited air pollution has always been evident. Nearly every photograph I have shows grey skies. If you live in or have visited Hong Kong SAR is it ever any different. Maybe you could let us know?
And yet there is plenty of wildlife in Hong Kong. A photographer I know from the New Territories manages to get some fantastic bird and wildlife photographs. Check him out.
That’s my contrast for this week. I hope you enjoyed the photographs and let me know what you think.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast. The colors that contrast the sunsets of the sky are amazing. (realestatesavant.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (comingeast.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (3rdculturechildren.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (buduson.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (thelaughinghousewife.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (alexandraroman.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (cherylandrews.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (skedazzles.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (thescroobiouspip.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrast (stephenkellycreative.wordpress.com)