How appropriate that the final challenge for this year should be look back at our photographs taken during the year and show the best ones here. Coincidentally I have also been taking part in a Weekly Photo Challenge on Flickr which means I have 52 good photographs to choose from.
I’ve mentioned it before but I’ve never been a fan of the gallery in WordPress. I just don’t think it shows my photographs the way they should be seen. In full size and not jumbled up into a small messy mixed up rectangle. Now I know you are not going to look at 52 photographs so instead as suggested I will include one for each month.
At some point during this article I was going to include the Lighthouse and why not now. It was at the time I was so P****d Off with people stealing my images that I ruined a perfectly good photograph by sticking a very obtrusive watermark right over the front of it.
It was a no-brainer for me. Of all of the photographs I took in February this one of a blue tit sitting on a branch just had to be included. It was a lucky capture. I still had my telephoto lens on the camera (Sigma 150-500mm), turned round and the blue tit was on the branch almost next to me. Sometimes the best photographs are not always the planned ones.
One of the things I was determined to do this year was move away from landscape photography in an effeort to challenge myself. Not only in using the features of my camera but also thinking what to photograph and planning the day. I’m proud of this one. I watched the duck for some time and new it would eventually fly up onto the bank, especially when I put some food down. Split second photograph but well worth the effort.
Well nearly May to be precise. I really like this photograph. The stark contrast of the tree against the yellow and blue just makes it stand out.
It’s May and birds are busy feeding chicks. I managed to capture this Robin with an insect in it’s beak. I was still searching for a solution to my images being stolen and decided to frame everything in a matching colour frame. Didn’t seem as obtrusive as a watermark…
Still trying to stay away from landscapes. This was an experiment in close-up photography. The more I look at this the more I realise the frame was better than the photograph
New camera. I had switched to the Pentax K-30 and was really impressed with the results I was getting. Living on the coast as I do means that I can always get a wide open space to capture the sunset. But a sunset on it’s own can be quite boring. The metallic sculpture near my house reflects the sky and sunlight in amazing ways.
Still determined not to do so many landscapes this year. Looks like I’ve switched to wild-life. Not entirely but this was too good to miss. A really fast shutter speed and I’ve managed to capture the wing feathers in detail. All in part to the faster shutter capabilities of the Pentax K-30. I also decided to ditch the frame. It should be about the photograph…
Back to a landscape. At this time of the year it’s good to get out and walk. I had been meaning to visit this isolated church for sometime. Built in the 15th century, it is no longer used as a regular place of worship.
October was a busy month as well as visits to Gloucester Cathedral and lots of wildlife photography I managed to fit in another visit to Valle Crucis Abbey. This time I managed to arrange my visit when the leaves were still on the trees, giving that lovely splash of Autumn colour
I’m in Glasgow to visit my Father before Christmas. This is another one of those building I’ve been meaning to photograph for some time but never got round to doing it. Boy it was cold. I’m standing across the river from the concert hall on a clear winters night. After 2 and a bit hours walking along the riverside photographing various buildings and structures I couldn’t wait to get back to the car and my hotel. That’s when I found out that the car-park exit barrier didn’t take £2 coins. This side of the river is very isolated but on the concert hall side there are a few hotels. fortunately there are also several bridges across the river and I managed to get change in a hotel.
My final image is from a stormy day on the coast where I live. A fast shutter speed and the Sigma 150 – 500mm zoom lens enable me to capture the waves as they cross the rocks which are just hidden by the incoming tide.
All of these photographs were taken for the weekly photo challenge on Flickr and I’m pleased to say there will be another challenge next year. The rules are quite simple;
One photograph each week, which should be added to the Group Pool and have a tag for the appropriate week. Weekly discussions are available to post your photos and there is a Monthly Competition open to all members. Winning entries will be showcased on the group front page.
Fancy having a go then visit 52/2013 – Give Us Your Best Shot. A basic Flickr account is free.
Well that’s it for this year. I’d like to thank all of you who taken time to follow my ramblings or have contributed comments and likes throughout the year. It is appreciated.
So as we head into the New Year I thought I’d share this quote attributed to Dave Beard, a baseball player
“Many years ago I resolved never to bother with New Year’s resolutions, and I’ve stuck with it ever since.”
That only leaves me to wish you all a Healthy and Happy New Year for 2013 – Mike
- Why I’m sticking with Flickr (jilliancyork.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (belgradestreets.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (mygardenblue.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (gentlewit.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – My 2012 in Pictures (speakingabouttravel2.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – My 2012 in pictures (hereismy365.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Favorite Photos of 2012 (piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (picturesinlivingcolor.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – My 2012 in Pictures (largeself.com)
- 12-29-12 Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 In Pictures 2 – People (quotidianhudsonriver.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures | The Daily Post (carylbeach.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in pictures (blatherskiteblog.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (travel-monkey.me)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (rutheh.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (trishadm.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (annablakeblog.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 In Pictures… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (ahecticlife.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge; My 2012 in Pictures (looneyatoms.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in pictures (srdjanapajevic.wordpress.com)
- Meandering along the Cobblestone in 2012 (thepalladiantraveler.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Our 2012 in Pictures (windagainstcurrent.com)
- Cee’s fun photo Challenge: 2012 best people or animal (scrapydo.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 (nofixedplans5.wordpress.com)
- Wild Weekly’s Photo Challenge – Unusual (kgphotostudios.wordpress.com)
- ” Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures (asianartandquilts.com)
Spread The Word
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)